Abide in Me





Remain in me and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. John 15:4

Sunday, October 4, 2009

I'll follow you into the homes of the broken

So, finally I headed to my hood to do ministry. It's been a long time in coming as the Lord has given me dreams and visions about this, plus it was laid on my heart a long time ago that I don't need to go to another country to feed the poor and heal the sick because we have that right here. I found a companion and we did it! We had planned to go at 10am Saturday and both of us had extreme heaviness that morning. I could not get motivated and in fact, returned to bed twice before calling my friend. Found that she was having the same troubles. We decided this must be warfare so we were definitely not giving in. We processed it, prayed about it and decided to worship and pray together first before doing anything.

We had a good prayer time and an idea came to my head. I have not thought of this in at least 8 years. The thought was to go to Taco Bell and get their 10 for $10 deal, (if they still had such a thing!) and distribute the goods. Friend said "let's go!' and off we went.

First character was the lone person at the park. Michael. He did not want a burrito. He let us pray for him then he prayed for us.
Then we moved on to our little downtown where we found Dennis. We talked to him for quite awhile. He is smart and loves to read. He is not sure he believes in God but he knows there's a higher power because of creation. He told two amazing stories of how he was saved from death and we talked about God having a plan and a purpose for his life. He was touched and even shaking as he shared an experience when a tree fell on a trailer and the branch landed right in the bed in which he'd been sleeping moments earlier. We prayed with him and for healing in Jesus' Name from a leg problem he's had since a bout of spinal meningitis, and that God would reveal himself to him and that he would seek Him with all his heart.
Gave out a couple more burritos to guys who we didn't converse with.
Came to the skateboard park. The skateboarders seemed like good kids. They were not high. They were hungry, however :) We could have used 20 more burritos in that park!
Nearby, just a few feet away was a group of teens that were clearly up to something. Friend walked over right into the den. I stayed on the exterior initially, praying and deducing whether I should go in.
Friend saw a spoon with drugs being heated and a clear glass pipe. These were teenage kids. Some looked 13-14! I recognized one on the outside so I began talking with him. He was so out of it, but pleasant. I remembered where we'd met and it was when he was looking for the Young Life meeting! He just graduated this year. He appears to be pretty confused about things and really, really lost. His name is Trevor.

We let them alone for a bit, went and talked to another in the park ("Eric Supertramp") and prayed with Eric, who'd told us that he is saved and sanctified. We appointed (anointed) him to be authority in that park and to speak with the kids. Perhaps, a lesson from an old homeless guy would help?

Trevor was around again and I asked him if I could pray for him. He said "yes," that he'd like prayer about keeping himself isolated." I told him I was going to pray right there but that I'd keep my eyes open and just touch his arm, so he wouldn't feel uncomfortable. (actually, he seemed numb to discomfort of any kind)..... I prayed a good prayer over him.

Now my heart is breaking for these kids! I know we were supposed to be there yesterday. I know I was supposed to give Trevor the time of day. There was a boy that my friend spoke with in the park. Yesterday evening, we went with our husbands to see a play. Lo and behold, the boy that my friend spoke with was at the play! and so was a young girl that was in the park. On our way out, my friend just looked him right in the face and said hello with a great smile. I can't imagine what he was thinking. It is quite a surprise that kids that were smoking crack (or whatever) in the daytime were attending a play with relatives the same night. They may have been with their grandparents. That was another affirmation! God wants us to get through to these kids. We saw something that most people would never see. We saw it because He wants us to do something. I am now just asking the Lord how do we do this? I know I could/should go get some special training....but this is an emergency. Could I be part of the crew that moves in the gifts and could we have a place where we can send them? Could our Young Life leaders handle them?

No comments: