Abide in Me





Remain in me and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. John 15:4

Friday, February 26, 2010

Panties from heaven

Teresa is a big woman. She is too big for most of what's in the clothing closet at the shelter. She wanted to take a look, anyway. She searched for a top that could accomodate her. None to be found. She was about to leave and I asked if there was anything else we could look for. She said maybe some sox. I opened the drawer and there was hardly anything in it but a couple of small bras and a single sock. I closed it and said there was nothing. She said what about some underwear? I opened it again, knowing there were none. We both had seen that there was hardly anything in the drawer. This time there was a huge pair of bright orange underwear! I said I didn't see those last time and she said she hadn't seem them, either! We were both quite pleased and I definitely had an idea the Lord put them there. I think she did, too.

I didn't have much time when the ladies were done looking in the clothing closet but I wanted to connect with at least one woman. As I approached Teresa, she laid on her mattress like she was too tired to move....but we knew it was temporary because she had to change and get ready for bed first. Although her personality is sunny and she appears content, simple things seem difficult. It seems to take all she has just to speak, so she mumbles. I asked her if there was anything she wanted me to pray for before I left. She said Oh, yes. Her mother was very sick in a small town in Oregon and she needs to get to her. She almost cried out when she said it; she felt so desperate about it. She told me that she has been in drug rehab and she has been clean for 7 months and she should be allowed to go but she keeps getting shuffled around by the caseworkers and that each of them has had their own issues when she was there. The last one had been in an accident and had a neck brace on and had lost her paperwork. She was so upset as she told me this so I asked her if she thought this problem was too big for the Lord to handle. She tipped her head back and softly yelled No! He can handle it! It was like her heart was crying out to Jesus as she said it; like she was craving our little prayer duet to press in to God because she knew He was her greatest resource but she might not have had even the strength or notion to come to Him. I prayed with her and we told the Lord that we believe that He hears us and answers us when we call out to Him and that Teresa needs Him now to intervene, to give her favor, to keep her strong in resisting drugs and alcohol, to sustain her mom and for the Holy Spirit to direct and guide her on how to get to Oregon. Teresa was grasping my hands and loving me like she loves Jesus. I didn't want to leave but I felt the Lord heard us last night and He was going to show her great and mighty things which she has not seen. I'm continuing to pray that God shows her the way and she will follow Him.

No comments: